Saturday 10 March 2012

Lenten thoughts on Tolerance

Tolerance, and our ability to live together has been a recurring theme during the past few weeks in the media, and has set me thinking…

It is never an easy thing to come back to something after some time away. However, the past two or three months in particular have had a profound effect upon my outlook on life, and I wanted to share reflections on my past, and also on some of my continuing journey with those who are inclined to listen to my ramblings. Over the past weeks, as Lent moves on apace, I have felt profoundly compelled to return to this blog, which as I have mentioned before, is a record of my journey in faith, including my ‘not-so-proud’ moments as well as those when I feel I have spoken in the pattern of God, and under the influence of the Holy Spirit. Finally, the urge has become too great, and I have decided to take the ‘plunge’.

The past few months and weeks have seen a lot of changes in my life, both public and private, especially as regards my faith. This is not to say that I have been absent or distant from my faith before these past few months- my attendance at mass, and my fulfilment of the basic requirements of our faith has been to all intents and purposes, without blemish for several years now. However, I have begun returning to many of the more devout practices of previous years; lectio, the rosary, keeping a spiritual journal, studying my collection of catholic literature… I am ever conscious these days though, that I do not become over zealous as I did in the past. Many of these more pious practices, because perhaps they were unguarded from the harmful effects of pride, led me to become a hard line, dogmatic bigot who became detestable to even those of his own faith.

It is not an easy path to tread, and may even sound to be a paradox to some, but I believe ever more, the more I pray and meditate upon it, that one can be strict in one’s observances in faith, while still avoiding being a bigot, or losing the wider view- the view in which there can be no condemnation of others, for we have all been called together in the love of God. Indeed, the deeper I move within my own faith, the more I feel I can learn from those with other beliefs. It is my belief that one must be firmly rooted in ones own faith before one can engage effectively in ecumenical or inter-faith work for example.

When we are aware and knowledgeable of our own faith, we can deliver a suitable ‘apologia’ in defence of it, and still learn so much more from the experiences of others in faith. I am now convinced that those years ago, it was my own weakness of faith, which caused false pride to take root, and which caused me to scorn certain other faiths and beliefs. I was scared of these other systems of belief I see, mostly because my own was so weak, I did not want it to be shaken. It was easier to retreat into dogma and become hostile, than open my vulnerable heart.

Perhaps this is a reason why some turn to extremism in other faiths too? Weakness in ones own convictions makes one fearful of the strength of other’s convictions perhaps? When one is grounded in ones own faith, with a living relationship with God (no matter how we perceive that to be), it is so much easier to reach out with an open heart, in love, to greet those different to ourselves, for we recognise, not difference, but similarity. Religion is about sharing our complexities- recognising that none of us is perfect, but that we all make our own varied, imperfect paths towards light. Towards holiness. Towards God.

As the psalmist says-

Behold how good and how pleasant it is for brethren to dwell together in unity.” (Ps. 132; 1) (Ps. 133; 1 for those using protestant versions)

My final thoughts in closing then, are from the hauntingly beautiful words of the ‘ubi caritas’, a text which often brings me to tears with its power, and which we shall be hearing in a few weeks during this holy season. They perhaps sum up what I am trying to say.

“Where charity and love are found, there is God”

“The love of Christ has gathered us together into one, let us rejoice and be glad in him. Let us fear and love the living God. And let us love one another with a sincere heart”

“Therefore when we are together, let us take heed not to be divided in mind. Let there be an end to malice and strife. And in our midst, be Christ our God.”

There in company with the blessed may we see Thy face in glory, Oh Christ our God; There to possess immeasurable and happy joy. From age to infinite age.”

“Where charity and love are found, there is God.”

A happy and holy remainder of Lent to you all. Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment